Highly experienced, and professionally tested in a wide and varied set of conditions, constituency needs, audience dynamics and business and governance limitations, I am a creative and entrepreneurial catalyst who develops an artist’s original and embryonic concept(s) into a business.
I bring an accomplished record of achievement to my work with a new client having collaborated with thousands of visual and performing artists and organizations from different disciplines, generations and levels of practice my accomplishments cover a diverse set of business based cultures including non-profit, for profit, retail, investment and tourist-driven destinations.
My approach depends on expanding an artist's frame of reference into cross-functional strategies, which widens the understanding of an artist and their work, raises their visibility, and creates opportunities for targeted markets to engage, support and buy what the artist is putting out into the world.
Tested & Proven
I learned most of my skills in the trenches, making, doing, selling and producing art. My ideas and solutions come directly out of what I’ve seen fail as much as I’ve seen succeed. It is in the doing, that I believe artists learn best. There are no guarantees for success, but avoiding the middle and the predictable, and remaining audacious, determined, flexible and continuously creative helps.
Having nurtured and directed bold projects in the for-profit and nonprofit fields of theatre, performance, film, and the visual arts, I am an expert in: fostering unique artistic collaborations; understanding an artist's creative, scheduling, and cash flow needs and preferences; building a custom plan of action that each artist can afford to implement, maintain, and evolve; and anticipating audience and customer dynamics as it relates to art practice, perception, and access. I am skilled at:
- Curating, directing and discovering unique, expressive purpose and intention in a wide range of artistic and creative practices;
- Establishing real expectations, budgets, timelines, deadlines and sales goals;
- Implementing lead generation and search engine optimization (SEO) strategies, as well as researching, targeting and segmenting markets;
- Navigating the people, decision makers and constituent dynamics in all kinds of unique, creative and idea-driven landscapes, cultures and funding cultures.
- Start-up business practices, B2B partnerships and promotions, media development, web design, system applications, and film and video documentation.
An Important Caviat for Artists
Think before you spend. Do not expend energy or money on stuff you don't really need, or that is already in place and with a little effort can be amplified to signal a change in thinking. The same applies to tasks and labor you can learn to do and manage on your own. Impatience is unnecessarily expensive. It is better to stretch out your money and resources over a reasonable period of time than incur lots of additional costs, risks, and poor results because someone in the mix needs immediate gratification.